Child Instances

While thinking about how to best implement publishing of write nodes in Nuke, I’ve been thinking about child instances.
Basically in Nuke we have a final write node at the bottom of the node graph. This outputs the final renders for the node graph. Along the way down the node graph, there might be pre-render write nodes that “bakes” a part of the node graph to speed up the rest of the node graph.
This means there is an order of instances, and they are children of the main write node instance. Say an artist wants to publish the final write node, and maybe one of the pre-renders. Even if you presented the artist with an “final-render” and “pre-render” family, there could be multiple final write nodes in a graph, and the relationship between two instances aren’t apparent in the GUI.

What I would propose is to have a tree structure for instances in GUI, so artists can visually see how instances relate to each other.

Currently I not entirely sure where else this could be useful. My initial thoughts were that you can represent how a model instance would be a child of a rig instance, and so publish the model again if needed from the rigging work file.

Let me know what you guys think. There is quite possibly a better/different solution, that I would love to hear:)

Sounds very exciting indeed. :smile:

I’ll have to have a proper think about this before I can reply, nothing immediately simpler comes to mind, and it’s a very intriguing direction you’ve got here that I’d definitely like to explore.

I may have found a different solution to this problem. There is a render order on Nukes write nodes, that ensures that the write nodes gets executed in the correct order. I could just add a validator for Nuke that will check the write nodes have the correct order depending on their placement in the node graph.

There is a render order on Nukes write nodes, that ensures that the write nodes gets executed in the correct order

I’d go down this way. It will also ensure they get rendered correctly processed localy without publishing.