Publish separately VS pull newest version

You guys should also checkout Alembic with Git:

This works mainly with Alembic currently. Maybe your system can use this to checkout different Alembic branch where one is the Approved branch while the other one is the latest branch

Yeah that project is pretty interesting, I probably wouldnā€™t rely on it for pipeline work yet however since itā€™s so new.

If you are set on Git, then it did recently gain more support for large files which is based on an older and seemingly stable basis called ā€œgit annexā€.

But Iā€™m sceptical as to whether Git is the right approach here, since the Git methodology is ā€œclone everythingā€ which can be difficult when your asset library is in the terabytes range. SVN, Perforce and the like are on the opposite side of the fence, ā€œclone what you needā€, which I think might be better suited for out kind of work. But I donā€™t know of anyone who has actually tried and Iā€™d be interested in seeing what benefits lie therein, as Iā€™m sure there are many (maybe more than there are downsides!)

Very very nicely presented. Iā€™ve been toying with versions of similar ideas (just way more scattered around projects), for a while now, but you guys are putting it into a very nice and understandable package. I took a few months break from following magenta development (no dev time on my side currently), but Iā€™ll try to get involved more considering am very much on the same page with you with most of the concepts presented there. I do have a few points for discussion but wonā€™t be spamming this thread with those at this point.

Weā€™ll be trying the same system here, however I want to employ logic where the ā€˜pushedā€™ file is always the same as the ā€˜approvedā€™ file, which is not necessarily the latest. It happens fairly regularly that director eventually decided to unapprove v05 and wants everyone to go back to v03. Code wise Iā€™d run automatic action that copies file that getā€™s approved and overwrites the ā€˜pushedā€™ file with that. Publishing wise on artist side we then only need to deal with creating new versions of assets. The ā€˜pushā€™ (or what I call ā€˜masterā€™ version) is then created automatically when supervisor approves some version number. If he accidentally approves 2 of them (totally happens), then the latest one approved becomes the master by definition.

[quote=ā€œmkolar, post:23, topic:97ā€]
but Iā€™ll try to get involved more considering am very much on the same page with you with most of the concepts presented there. I do have a few points for discussion but wonā€™t be spamming this thread with those at this point.[/quote]

Youā€™d be welcome to, @mkolar. At the moment, I think both me and @BigRoy feel weā€™re onto something that works; the current status is that heā€™s set to run it through a couple of projects within the coming days at Colorbleed to work out any kinks.

As soon as heā€™s back from holidays, we should catch up on where things are at in the Magenta thread.