Where is install pyblish?

Hi guys

Where should I install pyblish?
On the ftrack connect server?
Or on each machine that connects to ftrack?
regards

Hi @hquintanaro and welcome to the forums!

You can install Pyblish on either a server or per machine, it depends on how you prefer to manage your Python libraries.

Some choose to install it on a central location - for example, if you have a shared network drive on Windows such as Z:\ that all of your machines have access to, then it may make sense to install Pyblish on z:\pyblish or an equivalent subdirectory for it and other Python libraries.

If you install per machine, then pip install pyblish would take care of putting it somewhere sensible.

Just don’t forget that in either case you also need to let Maya or whichever host you use know about where it is, for example by also adding the directory onto your PYTHONPATH environment variable. The simplest, but perhaps least flexible option, is to use mayapy with pip and install it directly into the Maya software install directory, if you use Maya.

If you have a more specific description of your setup - e.g. operating system, hosts such as Maya, Nuke or Houdini etc and whether you use and manage other Python libraries, I may be able to give more specific advice.

Hope it helps!

Hello, I’m new at this.
Already install pyblish, also the module pyblish_maya.
But when trying to use the module it does not find it.

File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyblish_maya/lib.py", line 12, in <module>
    from maya import mel, cmds
ImportError: No module named maya
>>> 
goyo@MyLAPTOP:~/.local/share/applications$ pip install pyblish_maya
Requirement already satisfied: pyblish_maya in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (2.1.2)
Requirement already satisfied: pyblish-base>=1.4 in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from pyblish_maya) (1.4.3)
goyo@MyLAPTOP:~/.local/share/applications$ python -c "import pyblish_maya"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyblish_maya/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
    from .lib import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyblish_maya/lib.py", line 12, in <module>
    from maya import mel, cmds
ImportError: No module named maya

Where is my mistak

regards

pyblish-maya only works with Maya.

From a new console, try this:

$ mkdir pyblish
$ cd pyblish
$ pip install pyblish --target .
$ export PYTHONPATH=$(pwd)
$ maya

This will install the default Pyblish packages, including the Maya integration and expose them to Maya.

With Maya up and running, try this from the Script Editor

import pyblish.api
pyblish.api.register_gui("pyblish_lite")

import pyblish_maya
pyblish_maya.setup()

Now you should find a Publish menu item in your File menu.

More information about the Maya integration here

Let me know how it goes!